The finest remaining group of coal mining buildings in Wales.
The Colliery was built in 1907-1911 at a time when South Wales was the world’s largest coal-exporter. It still has 11 separately listed buildings as well as other listed surrounding structures – the winding houses, fan house, chimney and power-house are all listed Grade II*.
The former owner, Pontypool Estates, sold the site to Carmarthenshire Building Preservation Trust (CBPT) in the summer of 2011 for £1.
The Prince's Regeneration Trust is working with CBPT and Cadw to advise them on the project, and are now part of the project steering group. Also involved are Glofa (Friends of the Navigation), a very active local group raising awareness and funds for the project, and with the local Council, which is very supportive.
The local council has successfully secured some funding from the Welsh government’s Tranquil, Greener and Cleaner Places grant scheme to pay for urgent works and to develop a strategy to stop further deterioration at the site. The next step will be to complete an options appraisal examining various potential uses for the site and taking into account the current issues.
You need to be logged in to upload Media or to create Album.
Click HERE to login.
Oops !! There's no media found for the request !!